Monday, April 4, 2011

Am I Old?

Do you remember slang that was spoken by the "Cool Kids"?
Awesome, killer, dude, wicked, bad...apparently there's a new one I just heard Hella, or Hecka...I am not sure I am even young enough to use that one...or cool enough.

When I was a teenager, I made a special pact with myself that I wouldn't use this type of speech, because I felt it was limiting my vocabulary...I am sure I did other things which automatically cast me into the teenager lot, however I made a conscience decision in my 20's to forget as much about my teenage years as possible.

Then today I saw a photo of Fergie in an all Lego dress...



She is about my age...how can she pull that off?  of course it is because she is famous...famous people can act 10 years younger than they really are...So we can't really use them as a determining factor in how we should dress for our age, act for our age, etc...

I came to a realization that in your 30's you hit a point that you must move on, from slang, short skirts, tight pants, (not that I would endorse those things for any age) You can still be hip and stylish, you just have to make it more sophisticated, make it your own...or your walking down the street in a Lego dress and you don't look like fergie.

So to be helpful I have devised a simple formula for you, so that you know when to move on in you dress and actions...

When you start to be afraid of teenagers...not your own, just the random one on the street...maybe with huge pants, long cloak of some sort, and chains of various sorts hanging from every imaginable place...or the ones that wear their pajamas and slippers into the mall.  If you are in fact afraid of teenagers, congratulations you are old and can move on with you life...

Do you think Fergie's afraid of teenagers?


4 comments:

  1. Fergie is not exactly a paragon of good taste so a disinclination to wear something that she is wearing may, in fact, be a mark of your sophistication and fashion forward thinking. The simple fact that she is wearing it does not automatically mean that she is "pulling it off". That's what those best and worst dressed lists are for. What concerns me is that I often disagree with the opinions of the purveyors of said lists. Does this mean I am living in a fashion vacuum? Do I need to get out more? I suspect I am terribly lacking in "edginess". :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I believe Fergie usually recommends leather to get into the "in crowd"...but you could try and have Dylan build you some lego clothes...yes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only wish I could look that hot in a lego outfit! And yes, I believe I can move on.... after turning 36, having 2 kids, and living on the rez for 3 years now I am officially afraid of the teenagers you described above. Especially ones with cloaks and chains etc! The pj. and slipper combo just irritates me, which I suppose is just another sign that I have permission to move on. Thanks for the funny post, loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you are OLD OLD OLD. I bet you have more grey hairs than me. I only have a few on the temples and yet I am still not the big 40 so hahahahaha.

    As for legos, I believe she would look funny in the blue, yellow and red ones, therefore I will bring back the lego legwarmers and be in total fashion even if it is summer. Your favorite sister in the whole wide world. Miss you......

    ReplyDelete