Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Movie Critic

Still sick, so I decided to review a few movies I have watched over the last couple of days. fun? I hope so. Exciting? Probably not...but I will try!

First let me tell you a little about my qualifications as film critic...I love old movies. When I was a teenager, I would walk to the local library and check out any old black and white film I could (on VHS of course). Then I started to set meaningful goals for myself...to watch every Alfred Hitchcock film...then Cary Grant...and Jimmy Steward...It was an obsession I admit, but it was a good one...

Here we go...

This is one of  Orson Welles films. I wasn't interested in him initially...I have this bad personality quirk that the more famous something is, the less interested I am...Thus War of the Worlds turned my interest away from Orson Welles, I know it's stupid...I am getting over that now.  But enough about me...you didn't come here to read about me...or did you?
This film grabs you right from the beginning. Which isn't always true of older movies, sometimes you find yourself watching for 30 minutes and then end up wondering "Where did they real me in?"  It is based on the Nazi scare, but the suspense translates to our day...right down to the end.  I won't tell you much, but this film is a must see, even if you were at one time intimidated by Orson Welles.

Next up, Sleep, My Love, This is a film about a husband trying to prove his wife crazy, so he can murder her for her money...similar plots have been rewritten many times, this has a slightly different flare. It is one of those films where you know how it will end up, but it is surprising how you get there.


And the last film reviewed for the day is Laura...this film surprised me through out...every time I thought I had it figured out, there was a twist...maybe it was the fever and chills, and stuffed up head...I found  it to be suspenseful, and enthralling to the end...the way it moves from past to present and trying to figure out the future, a must see.

That's all I have for you today...What are you favorite B&W films? Suspense, comedy, drama. whatever they are let me know...they might just carry me through this sickness.

1 comment:

  1. Alfred Hitchcock's "The Lady Vanishes"; ancient and scary and very fun.
    "Strangers on a Train" with Robert Vaughn can't be beat for suspense.
    And of course, everyone loves "Gaslight". The comfort of familiarity and the fact that it probably won't happen to us. Our husbands are too nice.
    Hope you get better soon.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete