Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Brightest Moon in 18 Years...

I am a photographer. Here are my credentials...I took four years of photography, won various awards, worked for awhile in photography in various ways, Yet...

Tonight the moon is supposed to be the brightest it has been in 18 years. I can attest to this fact as it shines in my bedroom window as if the sun is coming up (at least what I imagine that to look like). The insomniac me struggles with the sleep deprived me...what to do...I picture in my head the amazing shadows that haven't been captured on film it 18 years! And then I think just one more second and I will be blissfully falling asleep...

I should get my "I am a photographer" revoked...

Then I think of Ansel Adams. He would pack up his box camera, wooden tripod, glass plates and hike out to some spot in Yosemite and wait there with his camera set up till the light hits in the perfect spot...and then...



However, Ansel Adams stumbled across photography to pay his bills. He was a pianist, that was his first love. So, if you asked him, "Are you a photographer?" what would he say? (assuming he was alive)
I don't know...this is a blog, not a research paper...My point being we decide what we are and what we do with that.

For instance what about those people who take pictures of their animals?


used a photo of my dog so as not to injure feelings of others,
although I have to admit I did not take this photo.
Would you call them photographers? I would have to say as opinionated as I am, sure...
Art invites opinion, but opinion does not dictate art...

So after a little...we will call it a pep talk...from my friend Steph, I have decided the following...
I am a photographer. I am a writer. I am an artist.
And I will see what I can do with that soon...

Now that I have that off my chest, I will either lay for several more hours in bed, or I will fall into a unrestful sleep...But what I will not do is fret over not going into the frigid weather to take photographs...I will leave that to the up and coming Ansel Adams out there...

Oh, but isn't my dog so cute?

No comments:

Post a Comment